A JOURNEY THROUGH 365 OF MY BEST FOOD EXPERIENCES

Tuesday 22 May 2012

Day fourteen - Meeting at Market

Last Friday I was treated to the intimately romantic setting of Market Restaurant. Little Kim's friend Cath from Cape Town is visiting and since she had a birthday earlier this week, what better reason to celebrate!

After a nightmare of trying to get home before dinner, N2 was closed from a massive accident and even after trying every obvious and secret alternate to get home I waited it out at The S flat.

Once joining the table and hearing that no orders had been placed yet I settled down to an even longer than anticipated wait.  When you tell people that you are going to Market and their reply is; “Oh their service is so bad.” Don't underestimate them, it really is ‘so bad’.  Our waitress was quite zany and off the wall, however so overworked and under supported it was frightening, when a manager is just wondering around straightening chairs while his two staff are running around serving the many tables inside and out, I do begin to wonder.


Anyway, my food was as follows: lamb burger which was a spicy lamb patty encrusted with mint and feta served on a ciabatta roll with a dressing.  And to finish a decadent chocolate torte with a sour berry coulis.  Little Kim had the same main meal as myself and we were both in agreement, it was alright.  Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I felt that Market had under delivered on its fresh and locally sourced food.  


 
Although in no way making up for it, my chocolate torte with creme fraiche and berry coulis was divine. The sourness of the berry coulis balanced out the sweet richness of the chocolate torte.  A small helping but plenty enough for me, I didn’t feel sick or needy once done.


If you are looking for a long evening spent sitting on a hardwood bench amongst beautifully romantic surroundings then Market is your place!

No comments:

Post a Comment