A JOURNEY THROUGH 365 OF MY BEST FOOD EXPERIENCES

Saturday 14 April 2012

Day One. Avo it is

Here I am again, trying this for, I think, the third time. Although this time it is a little bit different, I thought about what I enjoyed doing the most in life and apart from the usual spending time with friends and family I came up with the next best thing - eating! What better way to ensure that I finish a project than to have it revolve around my favourite thing.


So it is day one of me reporting back on the best tasting dancing frenzy that my mouth (and stomach) experiences each day.  Here it goes...





Saturday morning in Durbs for me generally means one thing - avo bread for breakfast.  I am a fairly recent convert to the whole 'avo' thing, having previously, and very vocally proclaimed its likeness to thick gooey mud (insert shiver).  However, after actually eating the stuff mushed up onto a piece of bread I realised just what I was missing out on and am now a fairly vocal (well now very vocal after blogging about it!) advocate for the avo.


The S and I went over to Essenwood Market this morning for our dosage of delicious avo bread.  The stall is there every week without fail and has three different offerings; avo bread topped with spicy roasted peppers and danish feta, roasted sweet peppers and feta or roast veg. I went in for the spicy one, with the S sticking with his usual sweet option and we then moved onto the various toppings available.  This morning did have slightly different offerings with pickled cucumber as opposed to the usual pickled onions and a bean pickle mixture instead of the usual hummus and a new sprout option available.  With these I slathered on my homemade mayo, sesame seeds, pinch of salt, grind of pepper and squeeze of lemon.  Armed with our mounds of tasty avo we secured an empty table in front of the playground.  To be honest not my first choice with all the kiddies screaming over a see-saw, especially after the three too many beers the night before, but the food offering was so good I just ploughed right through it without even so much as a wince when a blood curling scream erupted from the middle of the swings. Yes it was that good. 


Essenwood Market is a great place to meet a group of friends for breakfast as then the picky ones really don't have much room to complain with all the available choices of delicious looking food options.  Go early to snag a good parking, I always try for Berea Park road a one way above the park.  Tables are large and shared with  others but unless you have a major problem with other people, just sit at one end and concentrate on your breakfast.  The shopping has improved, so have a walk around the stores before to work up an appetite or after in a futile attempt to work off the massive breakkie you've just scoffed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment